So I have had certain software crash under Vista or 2008 Server while other applications on the same machine work just fine. Here is one of the errors I see:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: EXECUTABLE.exe
Application Version: 22.214.171.124
Application Timestamp: 4896b682
Fault Module Name: StackHash_3884
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 002ca978
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.16.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3884
Additional Information 2: b68e6d6fa0c9967afbd16b6d0b9e4ef4
Additional Information 3: 6276
Additional Information 4: a9fd8ecff73ec5510247cf946efdd405
This could be caused by copy protection. Here is how I resolved it:
- Click on start and select run
- In run type sysdm.cpl. This will bring up system properties.
- In system properties click on the Advanced tab.
- Click on settings under Performance.
- A new window pops up select the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select should be checked.
- Click on Add and browse to the path of whatever version of software you are using and select the executable.
EXAMPLE: C:\Program Files\SOFTWARE\EXECUTABLE.exe
You will be brought back to the Data Execution Prevention tab and you will see your executable selected click ok.
Go ahead and try launching the software again that was crashing.