My first book has been released May 23rd 2011.
Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010
Microsoft Data Protection Manager (DPM) 2010 is a backup and recovery solution that provides continuous data protection of the Windows environment and file servers to seamlessly integrated disk, tape, and cloud storage.
This practical, step-by-step tutorial will show you how to effectively back up your business data using Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 and how to plan, deploy, install, configure, and troubleshoot Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010 as a standalone product. The book focuses on Microsoft best practices as well as the author’s own real-world experience with Data Protection Manager.
The book starts by providing an overview of DPM and the relevant planning that is required for your backup needs, before moving on to installing DPM. Then it dives deep into topics such as DPM Administrator console and Task Areas, configuring DPM to function, configuring DPM backup on servers, backing up critical applications, recovery options, and DPM offsite backup and recovery, amongst others.
A practical guide to using Data Protection Manager 2010 as your backup and recovery solution
What you will learn from this book:
- Learn how to develop a backup solution strategy
- Install, configure, and administer Data Protection Manager 2010 effectively
- Learn how to back up and perform bare metal recovery of Windows servers using Data Protection Manager
- Discover how to back up and restore critical Microsoft applications such as SharePoint, SQL, Hyper-V, Exchange, and ISA 2006
- Understand what is available for Data Protection Manager Offsite, cloud backup, and recovery options as well as how to configure them
- Master PowerShell to perform tasks with Data Protection Manager
- Troubleshoot common Data Protection Manager Problems
- Configure and use SQL service self-recovery
- Learn how to configure and use client protection in Data Protection Manager
- Protect clients and servers in untrusted domains or in workgroups
This book is a practical, step-by-step tutorial to planning deployment, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting Data Protection Manager 2010. It will take you through all the steps required to use DPM to effectively back up your business data.
The book was reviewed by some of the best IT Professionals in System Center. The reviewers included:
- Islam Gomaa – Microsoft DPM MVP
- Robert Hedblom – Microsoft DPM MVP
- David Allen – Microsoft System Center Operations Manager MVP
Who this book is written for:
If you are a Network Administrator, System Administrator, Backup Administrator, Storage Administrator or IT consultant who wants to effectively back up your business data using Microsoft Data Protection Manager 2010, then this book is for you.
A good understanding of operating systems and backup devices and network administration is required. However, prior knowledge of Data Protection Manager is not necessary.
You can order the book here:
Packt Publishing –
Barnes & Noble –
Media & blog Postings:
- Ben Curry gives shout out to My DPM 2010 Book at SP Conference 2011
- Author Interview on Packt’s website –
- Scdpmonline.org –
- MVP: Robert Hedblom’s Blog –
- DPM MVP: Mike Resseler’s Blog –
- DPM MVP: Yegor Startsev’s Blog –
- Microsoft Cluster MVP: Russ Kaufmann’s Blog –
- Directory Services: Architecture MVP Santhosh Sivarajan –
- Quest Software’s Blog –
- Cameron Mergel Blog –
- Valérie’s System Center Blog –
- Michael Seidl Blog –
Review Part 1: http://tinyurl.com/Michael-Seidl-DPM2010-review-1
Review Part 2: http://tinyurl.com/Michael-Seidl-DPM2010-review-2
- Rod Trent Blog –
- Luke Grindahl’s Blog –