3CX Phone System for Windows is a software-based IP PBX. This is what we decided to use. We thought about setting up a trixbox server but decided to give 3CX a try.
What you will need:
- 3CX software
- Purchased VOIP number
- Win XP computer (you can use Vista we talk about XP in this article)
- IIS 6 on your XP OS
- A router that can do port forwarding or port mapping
- The 3CX soft phone (you can use X-Lite but we like the TS feature in 3CX soft phone)
- A static IP, FQDN (routable on the internet), or a dynamic IP
- Time to install, configure and test
- On your firewall and or router open Ports 5480, 5482, 5483, 5485,
- Setup a static map or forward of ports: 5060-5100 (TCP and UDP), 9000-9015 (TCP and UDP) and 3400-3499 (TCP and UDP) to your PBX server.
NOTE: forwarding ports 5060-5100 covers Port 5090 (TCP) for the 3CX Tunnel. The 3CX Tunnel is so that users can connect to the PBX server remotely to get an extension.