Welcome to my technology blog. My name is Steve Buchanan I’m from the Twin Cities and I’ve been in Information Technology for 19 + years. My interests in computers started in my senior year of high school when I landed a position building computers/servers and working on networking for a small computer company. Today I am a ‘Group Manager – Cloud Transformation/DevOps’ with Avanade/Accenture, author, and a eight-time Microsoft MVP.
I consider myself a technology generalist who enjoys architecting solutions that solve business problems. Recently I have been focused on transforming businesses through technology. This is done by shifting the position of IT departments into a partner of the business driving digital transformation. Transformation is achieved through the use of ITIL and DevOps methodologies, along with DevOps and cloud technologies. The more and more I work with cloud the more I realize how much of a misconception there is out there on what cloud is. Here is how I like to position cloud in terms of what it really is:
I have an Associate in Applied Science degree as a Network Support Specialist and a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Technology. I am a Microsoft MVP in Azure and hold the following certifications: A +, Linux +, MCP, MCSA, MCITP: Server Administrator, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCTS: (Hyper-V, SharePoint, Exchange), ITIL Foundation, MPP: DevOps, 70-535 Architecting Azure Solutions, and AZ-400 DevOps. I have presented at technical conferences including Microsoft Ignite, O’reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON), BITCon, Experts Live Europe, and Midwest Management Summit (MMS).
On this blog site you will find my thoughts, ideas, and tip’s about technology. In my current role I work mainly with Microsoft products. The Microsoft technologies I work with the most are Azure/Azure Stack, Log Analytics, PowerShell, ARM, Azure Automation, DSC, Azure DevOps (formerly VSTS), the entire System Center Stack (Service Manager, Data Protection Manager, Configuration Manager, Operations Manager, Orchestrator, Virtual Machine Manager), IIS, Hyper-V, and SharePoint. I also work with many Open-Source technologies such as Linux, Containers, Kubernetes, Apache, Drupal, WordPress, MySQL, Terraform, and Python. On my blog you will find a mix of posts around Open-Source and Microsoft technologies.
If you have questions about my blog, interested in having me speak at a conference, interview me on your podcast, or write for your publication feel free to contact me.
Skype, Email, or contact me on Twitter.
Other places you can catch me blogging:
- Mindsharp: http://sharepoint.mindsharpblogs.com/steve
- myITforum: http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/sbuchanan
- MSDN Profile: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Profile/Buchatech
- TechNet Profile: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/profile/buchatech
- Microsoft Channel 9 Profile: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Speakers/steve-buchanan
- “DevSecOps in Kubernetes” post on the Microsoft Open Source blog: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensource/2019/07/22/devsecops-in-kubernetes
- “The importance of Azure Stack for DevOps” post on the Azure blog: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/the-importance-of-azure-stack-for-devops
User Groups I am/have been involved in:
- Minnesota Azure User Group: http://www.mnazureusergroup.com
- Minnesota System Center User Group: http://www.mnscug.org/blogs/steve-buchanan
Amazon Author Page:
Places I have been featured:
- Featured on CloudSkills.fm podcast “Managing Your Cloud Career”
- #WomenInLinux Podcast: Steve Buchanan – Technical Author
Womeninlinux Podcast Buchatech Episode Link
- Avanade.com Q&A Spotlight: Steve Buchanan, Microsoft MVP and Author
- Betting on Azure Stack: Why it can be a game changer
- Cherwell’s 25 IT Service Management Experts to Watch in 2017
- Featured on Mary Jo Foley‘s IT Unity Community column (petri.com)
NOTE: The views and opinions on this blog site are my own and are not that of my employer.